It was also a good week for trainee Mary Kekatos who once again won the newsquiz with 13.5 points. In the running total, she has now put a distance between herself and joint second Timothyna Duncan and Ann Schmidt. With one week to go, the Champagne is on ice. The 14 trainees head to London this weekend for more training, at the meet their London colleagues, at the Mail's London HQ in Kensington before they go off on their regional placements.
Here's this week's American newsquiz. Give it a go and let me know how you get on.
|How many balloon? See Question 2|
1. In her speech accepting the Democrat nomination, Hillary Clinton said of Donald Trump: 'A man you can bait with a Tweet is not a man we can trust with _____ _______’ What are the two missing words?
2. How many balloons were dropped at the end of the Democrat Convention?
3. Earlier in the week who was heckled and jeered after she announced she was standing down at the Democrat convention?
4. Who left the Democrats saying: 'We need a DNC which has as very different direction’?
5. What codename do the US Secret Service use for Melania Trump?
6. Donald Trump said: 'Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the ____ _____ that are missing.’ What are the two missing words?
7. Who riled Bernie Sanders supporters at the Democrat Convention by saying the 'Bernie or bust people' were 'being ridiculous’?
8. President Obama paraded around the stage with Hillary Clinton after his final Democrat Convention speech to the sound of his 2008 campaign song. What is the song?
9. In her speech to the convention Michelle Obama said ‘When someone is cruel or acts like a bully, you don't stoop to their level. No, our motto is ___________’ What was the seven-word motto?
10. According to Donald Trump why did Hillary Clinton get rid of her middle name?
11. What did Florida football player Cristian Garcia do that prompted him to say: 'God put me in the right place at the right time’?
12. What was the name of the French priest murdered in his church in Rouen?13. According to German police, Munich shooter Ali David Sonboly, 18, saw it as a 'special honour' that he shared a birthday with who?
14. Why was Gloria Darden in the headlines?
15. Why did Patti Davis say her heart was sickened?
16. What happened to Bernie Ecclestone’s 67-year-old mother-in-law Aparecida Schunk this week?
17. Former tennis star Chris Evert said what had contributed to the downfall of her marriage to Olympic skier Andy Mill?
18. Who posted two pictures of his stepdaughter on Twitter saying: ‘We were all with her, surrounding her with love, at the end’?
19. Two teenagers were shot dead outside a bar and grill in Fort Myers, Florida. What was the bar and grill’s name?
20. Bill O’Reilly said on his Fox News program that who were 'well fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government’?
21. Brazilian doctor Daniel Becker warned of a health risk at the Rio games by saying: 'Foreign athletes will literally be swimming in _____ _____’. What are the two missing words?
22. Which company announced its quarterly profits had soared 186 per cent to $2billion?
23. Who was handcuffed after an argument with a motorist who blocked the driveway of his Malibu mansion?
24. One police officer died and another is fighting for his life after they were shot in an attack in the Southcrest area of which city?
25. What did Kanye West say was his favourite part of wife Kim Kardashian’s body?